Wednesday 18 May 2016

Parents X Dance | D2KDiaries

               "If there is an option, where I have to choose between my parents and dancing, I'll choose dancing.
My dad being a doctor always had that thinking in his mind that dance has no scope. He was being pushed by the society and relatives and i was being pushed by my dream and passion. I finished my education with my own money, because staying at home meant leaving dance, which was not an option for me. When people used to point out my ragged clothes or shoes, i just had one answer, I don't want my present, I just want my future, and that is dance.
After all I was a 16 year old kid from Rajasthan with no money is his pocket with dreams as big as the city I had came to. I kept saying to myself, it will take time, no matter if it does, all I have to do is reach there. After struggling for so long and questioning myself over my art I was finally recognised here at The Danceworx where I was given an opportunity to train under India's finest teachers and was privileged by the opportunity to be a part of something I always wanted to do.
I have been a doodhwaala in the morning, and a security guard at night, but all this is just to make sure the fact that when someone asks me who I am, I can proudly say that I am a dancer. My parents never came to see me dance, and they used to neglect my art, but then I knew that I have to set all this aside and concentrate upon my dream.Every time i sweat, I feel happy to see myself fulfilling my dream bit by bit. I still cry when i talk to my parents when they call me, but I have never let go of the dream that i have. I have been saving each penny so that I can prove it to my parents that dance is a way of life.
Today I have been a part of this for 6 months,and am still finding it tough to make ends meet. But I know that these are no ends that need to be met when I can see myself in Broadway Dance Center , New York some day. Till then, all I'll do is ... sweat"
- Shubham Purohit

No comments: